What does heartburn feel like?
Imagine an uncomfortable burning sensation in the chest. If you can, then you know what one of the symptoms feels like. But it's not the only symptom. Take a look below and get to know the other possible symptoms associated with heartburn.
- A sour or acid taste in the back of your throat.
- Discomfort that gets worse after eating, lying down or bending over.
- The sensation of pressure or pain just behind your breastbone. However, a crushing chest pain may be something more serious and may need to be assessed by a physician immediately.
- A burning feeling in your chest just behind the breastbone that can travel up the neck and throat.
- Difficult or painful swallowing. If these symptoms occur, you should discuss them with your doctor right away.
- Pain that radiates to your neck and shoulders. If these symptoms occur, you should discuss them with your doctor right away.
- Persistent hiccups.
Seek medical attention if: you get heartburn more than once a week, you have severe heartburn symptoms, the symptoms continue even with the use of prescription or non-prescription heartburn medication, or if you have trouble swallowing. If you think that you're having a heart attack seek medical attention right away.
Find out more about heartburn causes through the links below:
Always read and follow the label and use as directed. TUMS is for the treatment of mild to moderate heartburn. This site is not intended to diagnose your medical conditions. Consult your doctor if you have any questions.